5 Ways to Safely Use Your Pressure Washer
As a homeowner, property investor, or realtor, looking after your investment is a priority. Pressure washers are one of the most effective tools to handle jobs such as roof cleaning, moss removal, and tough grime and dirt. But pressure washers are also one of the most dangerous tools, if not used correctly. Unfortunately, thousands of people have ended up in the emergency room because of pressure washer injuries. Many people have made the mistake of underestimating the power of their pressure washer. But don’t let that deter you from using these powerful tools. Pressure washer injuries are certainly avoidable and preventable. Here are 5 safety tips on how to protect yourself while keeping your property pristine.
- The very first thing you should do is read your pressure washer manual. It will outline important details about your high-pressured tool. Most importantly, it will have specific safety instructions that you should always read before operating to protect yourself. By reading the manual, you can familiarize yourself with the different features of your pressure washer such as the various nozzles and pressure settings. The more you know about your pressure washer and its features, the greater the benefits, and most importantly, the greater your safety.
- Survey the area you’ll be working in: Make a note of your surroundings. Being aware of your surroundings will reduce the risk of injury and accident. If you know what’s around you, you’re less likely to trip over something or slip on a wet surface while using the pressure washer. Being aware and alert will drastically reduce the risk of accident and injury.
- Protect yourself with the proper equipment: Always wear protective footwear and eyewear. Sneakers may be fully closed shoes, but they do not provide enough protection. The pressure washer could break through them and cause some serious injury to your feet. Steel-toe boots will provide the best protection. The CDC also recommends wearing boots with a rubber sole. It’s also a good idea to wear safety glasses or goggles to make sure your eyes are protected. Protective gloves add an extra layer of safety and reduce the risk of cuts on your fingers and hands.
- Don’t aim it at yourself or anyone else: Pressure washers are powerful enough to damage concrete! That much pressure can cause serious injury to you or someone else. Pressure washers can cause cuts and bruises that could potentially lead to infection and other health issues. Be prepared for any kickback the pressure washer might generate. The kickback could cause you to lose your footing and potentially aim the washer at yourself or others.
- Pressure wash your property with care: Pressure washers provide a powerful, efficient way to clean and maintain your property, but they can cause damage if used incorrectly. Avoid aiming the washer at electrical panels, air conditioners, and windows! Using the high-pressured stream of water incorrectly could cost you more money in the long run. If you’re using the pressure washer on painted surfaces, a low-pressure setting is the best option to prevent the paint from chipping.
By following these helpful tips, you’ll ensure your safety and keep your property looking great!
Cleaning Tips & Articles
There are many different types of composite decks that manufacturers produce so when attempting to clean a composite deck with a pressure washer, always seek manufacturer recommendations before begin […]Read More
Upon arrival, inspect the driveway surface to be cleaned for any cracks or damaged pieces of aggregate or concrete that could be dislodged during the cleaning process. Also, inspect driveway Sealcoat […]Read More